Gluten Free Mince Pies
Since we’re now well in to December we’ve decided that, as an office, it’s time to get completely and utterly unapologetically Christmassy. The tree is up and decorated, the Christmas Spotify playlist is blasting out anthem after anthem, and the motion for the compulsory sporting of Santa-hats was passed by a staggering 16 votes to 2. Over the next couple of weeks, we’ll be throwing a number of Christmas-themed blog posts your way but first things first…the mince pies. Below you’ll find a recipe for the perfect pastry followed by recipes for three of our favourite mince meats. The tough part is choosing which one…
- 300g gluten- and wheat-free plain white flour blend
- 5 tsp xanthan gum
- sea salt
- 175 g cold butter
- 1 large beaten egg
- Milk & 1 beaten egg (for brushing)
- Sugar (for sprinkling)
- For the pastry, sift together the gluten- and wheat-free plain white flour blend, xanthan gum and a good pinch of sea salt into a bowl, and mix. Cut the cold butter into cubes and rub into the flour with your fingertips until the mixture forms crumbs. Add the beaten egg to the bowl and mix in using a table knife. Gradually add 3-4 tablespoons of cold water, mixing after each addition. Keep adding water and mixing until the mixture just comes together to form a dough. Turn on to a floured surface and knead until smooth. Divide into two and wrap in cling film. Chill for 30 minutes, or until needed.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C, fan 170°C, gas 5. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface to 3-4mm thick. Using a 7.5cm unfluted round cutter, stamp out 24 bases; using a 6cm round cutter, stamp out 12 lids, rerolling as needed. Stamp out 12 pastry stars with a 6cm star cutter.
- Line two 12-hole cupcake tins with the pastry bases. Put a spoonful of your choice of mincemeat into each and brush the edge of the pastry with a little milk. Top 12 pies with the smaller pastry circles, pressing the edges to seal; top the remainder with stars. Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden.
- These keep well in an airtight tin so it’s worth making plenty, or you can freeze the baked, cooled pies and reheat them from frozen – no need to defrost. Preheat the oven to 190°C, fan 170°C, gas 5, and bake the pies on a baking tray for 8-10 minutes.