So on my way in to the Too Good To Be offices at 9am this morning, I hear the distant sounds of what I could only assume to be a mob of football fans piercing the atmosphere of this, once quaint, street. As I approach the door the sounds of chanting and clapping become more apparent. I push through into the office to find the staff in a semi circle formation in our kitchen. Our new intern, Jack is armed with a frying pan and proceeds to fling a golden disc of dough toward the ceiling. Silence ensues and I watch in anticipation as the Frisbee-like object makes its way back to the pan from which it came. He’s landed it, the crowd go wild. PANCAKE DAY IS TOMORROW.
Now you’d think as a Coeliac-centred brand we’d perhaps be a little more downbeat when it comes to Shrove Tuesday. WRONG, we have in fact perfected the art of the gluten-free pancake, and we’re so flipping good to you that we’re willing to share it. Now listen up folks…
Our delicious Gluten Free Pancake Recipe
- 500ml milk
- 250g gluten free plain flour
- 2 eggs
- Butter for frying
- Put the flour into a large mixing bowl and make a hole in the centre. Crack one egg into the middle and pour in a quarter of the milk.
- Combine the mixture. Once you have a paste, mix in another quarter of the milk and the other egg.
- Whisk the mixture until it’s lump free and stir in the remaining milk. Pop some cling film over the top and leave the bowl to rest for 20 minutes. Remember, better comes to those who wait!
- Heat a non-stick frying pan and throw in a blob of butter.
- Pour a small amount of the mixture into the pan and swirl around to coat the base with a thin layer of batter.
- Cook the pancake for a few minutes until it is golden brown on the bottom, then give it a good ol’ flip!
- If your pancake gets stuck to the ceiling, scrape off and repeat steps 1 to 6.
Now the next part of the process is in your hands. Do you go with Nutella? Do you go with Lemon & Sugar? Do you go for ice cream? So many options, so little time…you’d better get cracking!